Notifications
Clear all

Stage Manager Role and Duties  

Page 1 / 2

Fiona Keller
(@fiona-keller)
Eminent Member

Defining your role.

I have decided to try and separate the Stage Management roles simply into; Stage Manager (person running the room and calling the tech and show) and the role of ASM (person liaising with design department and in charge of propping and is the onstage SM for techs and shows). I hope everyone is ok with that, if not please let me know also if anyone thinks there should be another one for CSM's happy to set that up.

I have made some tags; Pre-rehearsal, Rehearsal room, Tech and Shows. If possible please add a tag that corresponds to the roles you are discussing and separate the roles under these headings.

Thanks!

5 Replies
Sinéad Cormack
Registered
(@sineadcormack)

This is a great idea. 

I think a CSM could be good to have. I know not every show or company will have the separation of roles but good to have them set out to see the duties. Even if just to see the additional work that is often done by SM's who are expected to take on some of the duties. 

Fiona Keller
(@fiona-keller)
Eminent Member

Pre-rehearsal:

Help with the mark-up and preparation of the rehearsal room in liaison with PM and/or Set Designer

Adhere to the theatre/venue's health and safety policy according to current legislation

Fiona Keller
(@fiona-keller)
Eminent Member

Rehearsal Room:

Act as the principal contact between the Director and other members of the creative team and Production Department during rehearsals.

Schedule rehearsals in liaison with the Director

Send out call times/schedules, including costume fittings to all relevant departments

Ensure all requests and concerns from the cast are dealt with in an effective and timely manner in conjunction with Company Manager/Producer/Director

Prepare the prompt script and keep it up-to-date, also known as 'the book', which notes actors' moves and cues, and the requirements for props, lighting and sound.

Prompt actors as required during rehearsals and performances and give line notes as required.

Attend production meetings and minute them as required.

Report all accidents using an Accident Report Form

In consultation with ASM and/or Props Department, to ensure that all props for the production are sourced and made within the budget allocated. If no ASM or Props department are on hand then responsibility for sourcing/making props to be discussed with PM, Set Designer and Producer to ensure props are coming into the room but that running of rehearsal room is not neglected, as that is the main duty of the SM.

Liaise with Press Team on scheduling interviews and Production shots as required

Oversee the packing up of the rehearsal room, maintaining a "Leave no trace" policy 

Fiona Keller
(@fiona-keller)
Eminent Member

Tech:

Set up the stage for technical rehearsals.

Schedule cast calls within the Tech Production schedule including warm-ups, hair and make-up etc. Equity standard is 15 mins in and out of costume before and after breaks during Tech week 

Organise a health and safety walk-round on set with the acting company before the start of the first technical rehearsal. 

Adhere to the theatre's health and safety policy according to current legislation.

Report all accidents using an Accident Report Form

Run the technical rehearsal within the scheduled Tech Time, communicate with all relevant departments on stops, fixes and resets

Update the Book as required

Liaise with PM and other tech departments on what fixes or changes need to be made 

Liaise with Press Team on scheduling Production shots and interviews

Call the show for Dress rehearsal

Page 1 / 2
Share:
Skip to toolbar