- Scheduling of stage mark-up to limit cross over with other departments

-Marking up of wings to ensure social distancing can be maintained

-Hand sanitation and PPE for backstage cast and crew

11 Replies
Sinéad Cormack
Registered
(@sineadcormack)

-Packing of the rehearsal room and transport to the venue

Any props and set piece will have to be cleaned before transport. Who would be responsible for this?

- Scheduling of stage mark-up to limit cross over with other departments

Where possible stage mark-up should be given it's own time on stage. It may even be a little quicker than usual, when not trying to work around others or in the dark. 

-Marking up of wings to ensure social distancing can be maintained

This should be manageable with adequate wing space. Might be tricky in smaller venues. 

-Hand sanitation and PPE for backstage cast and crew

Sophie Flynn
Registered
(@sophie-flynn)

As Sinead said, marking up of wings to allow for social distancing is simply not possible in the majority of our theatres as the wings are too small

Sarah Jane Shiels
Registered
(@sarah-jane-shiels)

Scheduling will become very important to reduce crossover of personal.  To limit the amount of time a tech can take and how long cast are need onstage, dedicated plotting time should be allocated to those who need it (Sound, LX, AV).  However, although often scheduled, being at the end of a fit up before tech this time often gets reduced or lost altogether.  From a lighting point of view, I am beginning to learn augemented3d, and wonder if the initial plotting session can be done remotely?  Would be happy to experiment with an online session to see what is possible with a programmer.  

5 Replies
Mike O'Halloran
Admin
(@mike-ohalloran)

@sarah-jane-shiels Hi SJ. Glad to see you have been testing out Augmented. It will almost definitely be the new required skill from all LX people. Sound designers have been expected to program in the rehearsal room for some time now (more so to do with rehearsing with sound) but in any case, generally has a positive effect on the get in and tech with so much prepared in advance. Of course, concert lx has been pre-vis'ed for along time so it most definitely can be done as a really good starting point. I have often set up shows on my nomad in advance of get in, patched intelligent fixtures, made pallettes, positions and other reference data. Then just adjusted where necessary in the theatre. I  have on a few occasions also put in empty cues but added their titles based on what I knew from rehearsal "John leaves - lose bedroom" etc. Made such a difference the few times I got that far ahead. Seeing as the venues are going to be restricted in several ways this could be a very good time to implement some models that we have always wanted.

eoinlx
Registered
(@eoinlx)

@sarah-jane-shiels Augment3d isn't really setup or meant to be a pre-vis tool. It's more of a programming tool. It's very much in its infancy. I've used wysiwyg more than once for pre-vis, it's excellent and is dedicated pre-vis software. I'd be happy to try to talk to you and see about running wyg in conjunction with something like team viewer for you to view remotely and Skype to get the conversation going. 

Fiona Keller
(@fiona-keller)

@sarah-jane-shiels yeah I think Paper Techs will need to become common place and scheduled in to rehearsal time, ideally these could be done on the last day of rehearsals?

Do we dry tech show using LX crew as stand ins onstage? If we have been recording rehearsal run throughs, which I think will need to be a lot more common place, the video file could be shared and used as aid in running cue times etc and allows crew member to follow/map the actor’s performance onstage- Does that make sense?

From a designer perspective do you think that's something that could work?

Then when cast are called ideally the tech will focus on the cast getting used to the stage and SM calling the show- obvs timings on cues may need to be changed but hopefully all the “big” tech work will have been done

Gary Maguire
Registered
(@garym)

@fiona-keller I think that something that could be of benefit here is if producers could schedule a bit more breathing space between the last day of rehearsals and the start of production work in the venue.

In my experience as a Chief Lx, there is always a crunch time here where it can be difficult for lx designers to have the opportunity to see a substantial run through before submitting their plan, in this case it's hard to have a cue list generated for a paper tech to happen.

Because this crunch time between transfer to the theatre can be so tight, there have been times that the only time that works for a director, SM and designers to sit down together has been during an lx designers focus session or a sound designers quiet time in the theatre etc and the paper tech has had to fall by the wayside, so I think a day or two between rehearsals and get in might be a productive use of time for all in the new ways of working going forward.

This has just been my observations and perhaps designers themselves would be better able to comment on this. 

Fiona Keller
(@fiona-keller)

Hey @garym, I think you're completely right, the idea that we hold "final" run throughs on saturdays with the get-in the next morning is not beneficial to anyone. Last day of rehearsals is always an absolute pain in the arse.  Making Directors and Producers understand that actually allowing breathing room between rehearsals and tech could be really beneficial is really important but in this new world, we may not be able to bring crew in after a rehearsal to break down the room so separating the last day day of rehearsal and the get-out of the rehearsal room might become mandatory.

Mike O'Halloran
Admin
(@mike-ohalloran)

Hi all,

This discussion of pre-vis for shows ties in with some of the discussion which is being had around how venues can provide as much information as possible in advance to visitors. For example in addition to sending venue drawings, could they send 3d walkthrough files so that visitors can make themselves aware of how they will need to move around the space.

Having a 3d file and possibly an Augmented file for a venue would allow visiting LD's to get a better sense of things and angles prior to arrival which may help with making better position choices. Another of the suggestions being floated is that pre-rigs become much more common to limit the size of crews in on fit up day. Of course a good DWG with section and elevations would also be very useful! It would be great to see those venues with the photocopied fax of the pencil drawing modernise their tech spec offering. Good gig there for someone to tour the country with a laptop and a laser measure.

2 Replies
Sarah Jane Shiels
Registered
(@sarah-jane-shiels)

@mike-ohalloran Hi Mike, 

Not sure where to put this, but as per your invite yesterday I am a designer who would very much like to be part of the conversation.  

Thanks!

SJ

Mike O'Halloran
Admin
(@mike-ohalloran)

@sarah-jane-shielsYou already are. Please bring some more friends if you can. Fiona, Eanna and Liam (plus others) are organising breakout Zoom groups for early next week. Keep an eye on FB and Twitter. Thanks for your contributions so far. Hope you are well!

Share:
Skip to toolbar