Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Crew Health, Safety and Wellbeing  

Éanna Whelan
(@eanna_w)

In light of the emerging COVID 19 pandemic, what steps must be taken to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of crew and company members?

5 Replies
Éanna Whelan
(@eanna_w)

Points of consideration:

• Crew are asked to not appear for work if suffering any symptons of COVID 19.
  • All crew have their temperature taken upon arrival at work to ensure temperature is within normal ranges.
  • Crew with a higher than normal temperature are not allowed to work and asked to seek medical advice.
  • All crew wear masks while at work.
  • All crew take part in regular scheduled hand washing.
  • Greater time is given to fit up and get out process to allow greater social distancing and staggering of crews to keep number of people occupying a space to a minimum.
1 Reply
Mike O'Halloran
Admin
(@mike-ohalloran)

@eanna_w

This will be a very interesting topic. There are many points here that would be extremely beneficial to hold onto after the crisis is over such as appropriate time being given to get in / get out process to minimize risk exposure and allow for safer scheduling of tasks. I have been on one or two gigs where lx was given a clear patch of their own time with no set or audio (unless flown) coming in on top of them. The rig went up better, everything was labelled nicely and the tech paperwork was much more detailed as a result. 

It seems like a COVID rep/warden will be an essential role on job sites and during tech/show running. There are already some training schemes appearing. I feel there will be a alot of change to these as more information comes to light.

Gary Maguire
Registered
(@garym)

Even with social distancing in place what will new rules be regards self isolating after a member of the team has developed symptoms or even tested positive for Covid19. Will people have to self isolate because they have been in relative close proximity?

1 Reply
Mike O'Halloran
Admin
(@mike-ohalloran)

@garym Bingo. Looking at the way the HSE is working at the minute if a person tests positive they will then be asked to create their list of contacts. Those contacts will then be contacted and asked if they are displaying any symptoms. If they are they will be instructed to contact their GP and Self Isolate. If not they will be instructed to continue following the guidelines for not going to work, mass, the shops unless necessary etc. That is how the contact tracing was working on my last shift. With doors reopening now I imagine all of the advice will change. I think it is safe to expect however that if a member of your team tests positive the advice would be for everyone else who was in close contact for 15m accumulative to also self isolate. Minefield.

Éanna Whelan
(@eanna_w)

I think we aught to try and outline what we, in our professional opinion, would recommend the news rules be.

I would offer that we need to first establish an unchangeable principle on which we base our actions. Something along the lines of:

As the COVID 19 pandemic is ongoing, the health, safety and wellbeing of all members of staff as well as our wider community comes before our objective to create, promote or stage work.

With something along these lines as our foundation, health, safety and wellbeing can always be put first. Abiding by this principle then well inevitably result in work being slower, involving more PPE and more thorough safe work methodologies, sending unwell people home and halting work to account for a loss of crew or performers.

Seeing that this will be the effect of abiding by our 1st principle we can now start to implement effective and informed strategies to mitigate all of these risks so that we can continue to create, promote and stage work in conjunction with our 1st principle.

Moving forward we will need to establish the protocols that a) ensure the 1st principle is adhered to and b)  ensure that adhering to the 1st principle does not derail the days work.

Thoughts?

Share:
Skip to toolbar