In light of the emerging COVID 19 pandemic, what steps must be taken to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of crew and company members?
Crew Health, Safety and Wellbeing
Points of consideration:
- Crew are asked to not appear for work if suffering any symptons of COVID 19.
- All crew have their temperature taken upon arrival at work to ensure temperature is within normal ranges.
- Crew with a higher than normal temperature are not allowed to work and asked to seek medical advice.
- All crew wear masks while at work.
- All crew take part in regular scheduled hand washing.
- Greater time is given to fit up and get out process to allow greater social distancing and staggering of crews to keep number of people occupying a space to a minimum.
Even with social distancing in place what will new rules be regards self isolating after a member of the team has developed symptoms or even tested positive for Covid19. Will people have to self isolate because they have been in relative close proximity?
I think we aught to try and outline what we, in our professional opinion, would recommend the news rules be.
I would offer that we need to first establish an unchangeable principle on which we base our actions. Something along the lines of:
As the COVID 19 pandemic is ongoing, the health, safety and wellbeing of all members of staff as well as our wider community comes before our objective to create, promote or stage work.
With something along these lines as our foundation, health, safety and wellbeing can always be put first. Abiding by this principle then well inevitably result in work being slower, involving more PPE and more thorough safe work methodologies, sending unwell people home and halting work to account for a loss of crew or performers.
Seeing that this will be the effect of abiding by our 1st principle we can now start to implement effective and informed strategies to mitigate all of these risks so that we can continue to create, promote and stage work in conjunction with our 1st principle.
Moving forward we will need to establish the protocols that a) ensure the 1st principle is adhered to and b) ensure that adhering to the 1st principle does not derail the days work.