Forum

Notifications
Clear all

PPE  

Suzie Cummins
(@suzie-cummins)

What sort of PPE would people be expected to wear?

-Gloves, Cloth masks, Face shields?

6 Replies
Liam FitzGerald
Admin
(@liam-fitzgerald)

In the event of needing to work with someone in close proximity (under 2m), the expectation would be a FFP2 or FFP3 standard mask, good fitting eye protection or face shield, and microbial proof gloves under work gloves.

Before and after taking part in close proximity work, all operatives would be required to wash their hands.

2 Replies
Mark Galione
Admin
(@mark-galione-2)

@liam-fitzgerald Is there advice about gloves. The advice I thought was still that washing hands regularly and hand sanitiser is more effective than gloves particularly without training in how to use them and is more likely to lead to complacency?

Liam FitzGerald
Admin
(@liam-fitzgerald)

@mark-galione-2 The above is only for when forced to work within 2m with another operative or group of operatives. For example unloading a truck, walking up a flat, during a wardrobe quick change.

Once the circumstances have passed where such close working is ended, PPE would be removed, disposed of carefully, or cleaned and stored properly.

Éanna Whelan
(@eanna_w)

My research on face coverings has revealed the following:

There are two types of face covering. Surgical Mask and Respirator.

A Surgical Mask is worn to prevent an infected person from contaminating an area. A surgical mask does not protect the wearer against airborne infections agents.

The European Standard EN 14682:2005 governs surgical masks and divides them into two distinct categories.

BFE 1 and BFE 2. BFE stands for Bacterial Filtration Efficiency.

BFE1 - The surgical mask retains 95% of the infective agent.

BFE 2 - The surgical mask retains 98% of the infective agent.

Each of these categories can then also be given an "R" designation. This means that the mask also carries external splash resistance.

Based on the above I would deem surgical masks not fit for purpose in a workplace setting.

A Respirator is officially classified as PPE. It protects against contamination and airborne infectious agents.

The European Standard EN 149:2001 governs respirators and divides them into three distinct categories.

FFP 1, FFP 2 and FFP 3. FFP stands for Filtering Face Piece

FFP 1 - Up to 80% aerosol filtration and max 22% leakage.

FFP 2 - up to 94% aerosol filtration and max 8% leakage. (currently used against COVID 19)

FFP 3 - Up to 99% aerosol filtration and max 2% leakage.

I think it would be important that moving forward the distinction is always made between surgical mask and respirator and that we only allow use of respirators in the work place.

Sources:

http://emag.medicalexpo.com/which-masks-actually-protect-against-coronavirus/

EN 14682:2005 attached in .PDF

Gary Maguire
Registered
(@garym)

I would be interested to know what people think about who will provide the required PPE, particularly in the case of freelancers. I would be assuming that if engaged by a venue, they being the employer would provide suitable PPE. If engaged by a production company working in a venue will it be the production companies responsibility or the venues? 

And if it is a case where it was the production companies responsibility, will situations arise where the production company reimburses you for the cost of PPE like often is the case with transport costs, but the freelancer would be left to source their own PPE?

Éanna Whelan
(@eanna_w)

I would say the most simple way to phrase this is: "whomever pays your invoice supplies your PPE."

COVID 19 PPE is no different than a hard hat or welders gloves. If you're being asked to work in conditions that require PPE to make the risk posed manageable, then the employer (read: person paying your invoice) must provide that PPE.

Share:
Skip to toolbar